Friday, January 24, 2014

Reviews: Lone Survivor, 47 Ronin, and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

These next three movies served as a reminder to myself that I just love going to the movies. None of them were particularly great, and I wouldn't recommend them to someone who just goes to the movies a few times a year. But I still enjoyed myself during each, especially the latter two.

10. Lone Survivor
This movie was just okay. It had some sustained action sequences that were well done and effective, but they sometimes tended to last a little too long. I understand that the filmmakers were trying to do justice to the true story they were adapting, but perhaps a little more "adapting" could be done. The film seems like it is constrained by its faithfulness to the real events it depicts. Watching it felt more like watching a series of events (an admittedly dramatic series of events) rather than a structured story.

Also, putting Mark Wahlberg's face on the poster next to the title was a pretty big spoiler.


11. 47 Ronin
From what I had read, this film flopped at the box office and got terrible reviews. I have to admit, though, that I enjoyed it. In some ways it felt like an epic, multi-part saga that was edited into a single two hour film. The film does not devote much time to the character relationships and motivations--you simply have to accept them as presented and move on, but it has plenty of fantastical locales and a decent helping of the staple of any great fantasy film: shots of the heroes traversing the land on horseback while valiant music plays. This helped create a fun tone that I was able to latch onto and enjoy.

I also have to admire the film studio for making this film. They took a gamble on a big budget fantasy film that has almost no potential for sequels should it be successful. This is refreshing in a world where so many new releases are intended to kick start new franchises. Unfortunately, the studio's gamble did not pay off from a box office perspective.

12. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Much like "47 Ronin", I don't think this will go down as a particularly memorable movie, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time watching it in the theatre. It had an innocent, whimsical sense about it. Much of the imagery was impressive, and the film jumped frequently from locale to locale, maintaining a good pace once it got moving. Not a must see movie for the theatre, and probably not at the top of the list for a rental, but it wouldn't be a bad way to spend an evening once it comes on cable.

Next time: "Walking With Dinosaurs", "The Princess Bride" (a local theatre hosts a classic film series), and "Saving Mr. Banks".

No comments:

Post a Comment