Friday, February 7, 2014

Reviews: Captain Phillips and Gimme Shelter

24. Captain Phillips
If I hadn't gotten my Movie Pass, there is a good chance I would have never seen this film. I won't go into details, but from some things I've read, the filmmakers portray the lead character in a more flattering light than he probably deserves. This was enough for me to not want to spend money to see the film, but with my Movie Pass, I could see it for free. So why not? In spite of my reservations, I was able to judge the film on its own merits.

The first half of the film is very good. It gives an intense "you are there" feeling, especially during the brief time that some of the hijackers play a cat and mouse game with crew members still hiding on the boat. Unfortunately, this comes to an end much sooner than I'd expected. The second half of the film consists primarily of five people in a lifeboat. There are still intense moments in this half, especially near the end, but for much of the time the urgency is lost. I understand the need for the movie to take it's time here, even at the risk of getting a little dull. It needs to establish the frustrations faced by the characters who are cooped up in this small boat for days on end. It takes it a little too far, though. This section could have easily lost a good ten to fifteen minutes.

25. Gimme Shelter
This movie wasn't bad. I actually kind of liked it, but the story didn't have quite enough of a spark to justify the film's exhibition in a theatrical setting. Instead, it felt like a good TV movie. There are moments of drama. In fact, much of the film is quite dramatic, but these scenes are not arranged to create a palpable sense or "rising action" leading towards a conclusion. Perhaps television really would be the best medium to showcase "true stories" like this. When making any film, but especially one meant for the movie theatres, it is most important to make the material work as a film, even if that requires making changes to the true story or the source material.

Aside from lacking that crucial "spark", the film was well made. As a big fan of "High School Musical 3", it was fun for me to see Vanessa Hudgens deliver this kind of performance, where she changes her appearance, voice, etc. I wish the film had had a more solidly structured screenplay that gave her more to do with the character.

Next time: "I, Frankenstein" and "Dallas Buyers Club".

No comments:

Post a Comment