Friday, August 15, 2014

August 15 Weekly Preview

Yet another week in which I'm carrying over "Get On Up". I tried to see it last Saturday, but the showing I went to was sold out and it took a few days to get things straightened out with my Movie Pass so that I could select it again. I also won't be previewing "Let's Be Cops" as it came out mid-week and I've already seen it, making it difficult to predict my reaction.

The Expendables 3- This could be fun and entertaining, but I don't see it being much more than that. When you're the second sequel in a series that is already intended as an homage to 80s action films, the odds of producing much originality are low. I'll probably enjoy it, but won't remember much about it within a few weeks.

The Giver- I read the book in school (didn't everyone?), but I don't think I'll be bothered in principal if they make any big changes. The real question is if it will be able to stand out in the crowded field of young adult film adaptations.

What If- I've seen mostly positive notices for this, but there have been a few that absolutely trashed it. I think I'll have a good time with it, and I hope the writing is good enough to elevate it above standard romantic comedy fare.

Calvary- Aside from seeing the trailer a few times, I haven't heard much about this film. It looks to be a small-town set thriller. Depending on the pacing it could turn out to be genuinely thrilling, but it could easily be too slow as well. I am excited to see Brendan Gleeson in a leading role. I've liked him ever since "In Bruges".

No comments:

Post a Comment