Thursday, June 26, 2014

June 27 Weekly Preview

I thought this was going to be a very low-key week at the movies. The new Transformers film is the only big new release today. Then I realized that a few other movies are opening on Wednesday July 2, ostensibly to get a head start on the July 4th weekend. I won't include those movies in this preview, but I'll do a separate preview for them later, which may or may not go up before next Friday. I also plan on seeing "Ida" this week. It was on my preview for last week, but I decided to push it to this week when I saw how barren (I thought) the week was of new releases.

Transformers: Age of Extinction- I've skimmed over a couple of reviews that have mercilessly panned this film, and another that said it was just "okay". I can't say that I consider myself a fan of the Transformers franchise. I've never had any of the toys or seen the old cartoons. I saw the first two movies of this series once each, on cable long after their theatrical releases. I thought they were okay ways to kill a couple hours, but didn't amount to anything more than that. The third film, however, I saw in theatres twice and absolutely loved. The only reason I haven't seen it since is that I have no interest in seeing it in 2D. That film's 3D was the best I have ever seen in a movie theatre and made the action scenes visceral and exciting in a way I'd never seen before. I'm really hopeful that this follow up can live up to that. My expectations are high.

Obvious Child- From the trailers I've seen this seems like a romantic comedy that embraces its indie film sensibilities. Whether that results in it being fresh and original or gratingly pretentious remains to be seen.

Ek Villain- Another Indian release. I'll probably make it to this one. It seems to be somewhat of an action oriented film, but beyond that I don't know much about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment