Friday, June 6, 2014

June 6 Weekly Preview

A slightly more active week than last week, with two major releases and one smaller film opening in local theatres, along with a few others that I may or may not get to.

Edge of Tomorrow- Tom Cruise's latest Science Fiction action film, following last year's "Oblivion" which went unseen by me and many others. I really hope it's good. It is not technically an original property (it's based on a Japanese light novel), but it's still nice to see a film studio take a chance by making a big budget film without a massive built in fan base.

The Fault in Our Stars- It's been hard to avoid the media attention surrounding this film's release. Most of that press has been incredibly positive, which means the film will have to really work hard to live up to the hype if it wants to impress me. When an article about a film (published over a month before the film comes out) claims that seeing it will "change your life", my reaction is to become very skeptical. Based on some of the actual reviews I've seen coming in, my skepticism may not be unwarranted.

Night Moves- Something about environmental terrorists, I think. I saw a trailer online a while back, but it didn't really stick with me. I'll be anticipating boredom to drive down my expectations.


The Wild Card movies I may or may not get to are: "Saturday Night Fever", the weekly "classics" offering; "Rebecca", a different theatres "classics" offering (both screenings are in the morning which, given my current sleeping schedule, might keep me away); and "Holiday: A Soldier is Never Off Duty", another Indian film (its 160 minute runtime might scare me off).

No comments:

Post a Comment