Friday, July 4, 2014

Review: Ida

123. Ida
I can't say much about this film in the way of criticism. It's less a case of it not being a well made film (I think it actually was made reasonably well), and more a case of it just not being my cup of tea stylistically.

The film has its moments of interest, but for the most part it maintains a distance from its characters and events that made it hard for me to connect. Being in black and white and subtitled didn't help, either, accenting the drab atmosphere that seems to come as a prerequisite to any Holocaust related film.

It follows a young girl who was raised at a convent and is about to take her vows as she discovers she was born Jewish and seeks (along with an Aunt she'd never before met) to find the bodies of her parents and lay them to rest. There's lots of emotional potential there, but it is rarely mined. By remaining so distant from its characters, I was unable to truly feel for them beyond a general sense of sympathy. I don't really mean this as biting criticism, though. It was clearly deliberate and is the way the filmmakers wished to tell their story. It may not have necessarily even been the wrong way--it's just not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment