Friday, July 18, 2014

July 18 Weekly Preview

The Purge: Anarchy- I saw the first film a couple months ago on television. It was nothing special, but kept me entertained for an hour and a half, and I did enjoy Ethan Hawke's performance. I doubt he's back for this sequel, but it does look like the budget has been increased and that the film will explore the same concept as the initial film, but on a larger scale. Chances that it will be great cinema are low, but I've had a tendency to enjoy the horror films I've seen this year (they aim lower than serious dramas, so it's easier for them to meet my expectations), so I'll probably have a good time.

Sex Tape- I'm sure this will have its moments of good comedy; I just hope that there are enough of them. Sometimes a single, brilliant joke can make a good comedy if it's something you can't stop thinking and laughing about once the film is over. Few comedies have that, and I tend to doubt this one will.

Planes: Fire & Rescue- The sequel to a film which is itself a spinoff of Pixar's "Cars" franchise. I have not seen any of the three movies to which this one is related. This release comes less than a year after the first film, making me skeptical about its quality.

Persecuted- I saw the trailer for this online a couple weeks ago, but don't remember it very clearly other than that it starred James Remar and Fred Thompson.

No comments:

Post a Comment